Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Lee Neves

You are obviously a boaster for UOP. What sport do you think the have the best chance at excelling at this coming year? 
I'm looking for a big year from men's and women's basketball.  It's year three of the West Coast Conference for both.  For the men, there is a good mix of experience and some exciting new recruits, including Freshman Anthony Townes, who earned all-state honors in high school last year.  


For the women, as great a player Kendall Kenyon was, sometimes the team relied upon her too much.  I'm looking forward to a more balanced team which will be harder to defend for opposing teams.  As a side note, the Women's basketball team has produced great teams the last few years, unfortunatley the crowds haven't been there.  This is a team our community could really appreciate and rally around, and I'd love to see more members of our Stockton community take in a few games this year....let's see some people in those stands!
You graduated from law school, however you decided not be an attorney and rather to be a political consultant instead. What guided you in that choice? 
Have you ever sat thru a first year contracts class?! lol  Seriously, I went to law school with the intent of getting into politics, which is why I attended McGeorge in Sacramento.  Mission accomplished.  I just could never see myself in the law firm grind.
You are a self-declared Republican, yet you will not refrain from taking on the campaign management of a democrat. Why is that?
That's only the case for non-partisan offices.  To me, in races of that nature, it's less about ideology, and more about getting things done on the nuts and bolts level.  Take James Mousalimas, our new County Superintendent of Schools for example.  Although a registered Democrat, right off the bat he said he was an educator. period.  He also had a ton of Republican support, because they realized when it comes to our schools in the area, it's not about partisan ideology, but more about reading, science, math, and getting our kids graduated.

What happened when you were younger that let you know you were going to work in politics. 
I was always a political nerd in school.  When all my friends would come home to watch MTV, i'd turn on Crossfire on CNN.  Not sure there is a specific instance that let me know this is what I wanted to do, it's just something I was drawn too.
You are a more of a “behind the scenes” power in Stockton. Have you considered running for office yourself or do you like the influence you have now? 

I ran for office once, Merced County Supervisor in 2004.  To this day it's still the most expensive supervisors race in Merced County history.  Obviously that turned out well for me LOL. I told my parents when I ran that the only other election I'd run for was re-election or higher office.  I like the position I'm in now, and the ability to shape how our government looks at a wide variety of levels.
What impact do you think social media has had, not on politics in general, but specifically in local politics? 
It's a double edged sword.  On one hand, if done well, it can help level the playing field against better funded more traditional opponents. On the other hand, it gives a platform for perma-victims, wannabes and those who have no clue, and unfortnatley in today's society, there is a segment of people that thing if you shout it loud enough, you must be right.  
What is your biggest regret as a political move in your career.  
Back in 2002 I went to work as District Director for a State Assemblyman out of Fresno.  I had a bad feeling about it but felt it was a positon I couldnt pass up.  Turned out to be the worst few months of work I'd ever experienced (including the part time school gigs).  Myself, along with most of the staff that had any sense about them, left in quick order.  He was a one term legislator....no way he was getting re-elected LOL

Hands down, best burger in Stockton?
I'll have to go with Habit Burger. I love the interaction between the sauce, lettuce and patty....can't put my finger on it, I just know it's fantastic!

No comments:

Post a Comment